The names of the victims on the walls of the Pinkas Synagogue . The fifteenth century Pinkas Synagogue , named in honor of its founder , Rabbi Pinkas , is located just behind the entrance to the Old Jewish Cemetery . The Pinkas Synagogue is dedicated to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust from Bohemia and Moravia : their names are inscribed on the walls of the nave and adjoining areas . The text of the inscriptions was compiled from different files , from transport documents , registration lists and statements of the survivors. The inscriptions include the names of the victims , his place of birth and place of his death, in cases in which the date of death unknown ( in many cases) , is inscribed the date of the deportation to ghettos and camps extermination , usually the last information we have about the victims. The names are grouped by cities and towns in which they lived before deportation or arrest, and are presented in alphabetical order : the nave groups all those whose last address was that of Prague , the rest of the interior space commemorates the victims outside the city . On both sides of the Sacred Arch are engraved the names of the ghettos and concentration camps where Jews were deported Bohemia and Moravia , and in many cases , killed . From 1954-1959 , the Pinkas synagogue was turned into a memorial to the Jews of Bohemia and Moravia. During this period , were engraved the names of the 80,000 Jews of Bohemia and Moravia who were persecuted and murdered in the Holocaust . In 1968 , the synagogue was closed because there were floods in its foundations , jeopardizing the building and damaging its structure. During the restoration work were found several old facilities . The Communist regime deliberately slowed the restoration work and inscriptions with the names of those killed during the Holocaust were withdrawn. Unable to complete the restoration of the building until 1990 , and between 1992 and 1994 they recorded the names of the Jews of Bohemia and Moravia killed during the Holocaust. In 1994, the Pinkas Synagogue and the Jewish Museum , which is closely related to the synagogue , received independent support from the State. From 1996 he completed the task of re- inscribe the names of Jews killed in the walls of the Pinkas Synagogue . The synagogue was severely damaged during the floods of summer 2002 , and it was not reopened until August 2004 , after extensive restoration work. This is one long epitaph memorial commemorating the names of those for whom there has been erected a tombstone. Holocaust Victims also are commemorated in a permanent exhibition of children's drawings from Terezín that since May 1997 , is housed on the top floor of the synagogue . The history of children deported to Terezín is described in 19 sections in the adjacent room to the upstairs gallery . The story is described from the drawings of children in Terezín made ??between 1942 and 1944 , which were carried out during the classes organized by Friedl Dicker - Brandeis ( 1898-1944 ) , a painter and interior designer , also admitted in the ghetto. As part of a clandestine essentially education program for children in Terezín , classes of art became major elements in daily life in the ghetto. These classes functioned as a kind of therapy for children, which helped them to cope with life in the ghetto. Before his deportation to Auschwitz , Dicker two suitcases filled with more than 4,500 children's drawings and hid . They were recovered immediately after the war and taken to the Jewish Museum in Prague . They have become a reminder of the tragic fate of the Jews during World War II . Only a few of these children of Terezin survived the war : the vast