Jewish Museum in Prague. Spanish Synagogue . The Spanish Synagogue ( Hebrew: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? , Czech : Špan ? Lská synagogue ) is a synagogue located in Prague's Josefov neighborhood and inspired by Viennese Leopoldstädter Tempel Synagogue . His name is probably due to the fact that it presents a Moorish style very similar to that developed in Spanish monuments such as the Alhambra . It was built between 1868-1893 and repaired in the 1990s after the Nazi occupation of World War II , in which the building was used as a storehouse for goods confiscated from Jews . History In the place where the synagogue is currently before there was another Jewish temple known as Stara škola ( Old School ) . Was built between the eleventh and twelfth centuries , and the oldest existing information it is the year 1142. Possibly it was built and used by the Sephardim of Byzantine origin . Between 1836 and 1845 he worked as an organist Frantšek Škroup , the author of the Czech national anthem Kde domov m ? J ? ( Where is my home ? ) . Old School in later years served as a synagogue for the Jews of Prague reformers German native speakers . Due to poor condition of Old School and due to inadequate reconstruction in neogothic style , it was decided to destroy and replace the current building . They used the Moorish style which was very popular in European Jewish communities of the nineteenth century . The architects responsible for renovating the building were Ullman and Niklas . The decor inside made ??stucco Q. B? Lský . The synagogue was completed between 1882 and 1893 . In 1935 the inagoga was extended by the South , according to the project of architect K. Pecánek . This part is known as the Hermitage of Winter . During World War II the synagogue served as a store of objects other synagogues confiscated other Czech Jewish communities . Between 1958 and 1959 he rebuilt the interior and the synagogue became the custodian of the Jewish Museum . However, the building began to neglect and thus closed . Finally , in 1989 new works began to recover its original beauty. It was reopened in 1994 and was first used for religious service , in principle only holidays and Mass later for regular Friday night. The owner of the building is the Jewish Museum in Prague . Near the synagogue also have their offices , library and deposits . News Today the synagogue houses an exhibition of the Jewish Museum presents the history of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia from Josephine reforms until the twentieth century , including several silver objects synagogues. The exhibition takes place in the so-called Ermita de Winter and Robart Guttmann Gallery , located in the rear of the building are art exhibitions on Jewish topics . Besides religious rites are concerts of classical music.